Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Niigata Sake Selection

Yesterday I attended the Niigata Sake Selections tasting event at Gonpachi Bevelry Hills.  After following a link in a Yelp newsletter I stumbled upon a posting for this sake event.  I being the sake enthusiast that I am couldn't let this great opportunity pass me by.

Niigata Sake Selections was started in 2004 to promote the concept of regionality in sake (similar to that of wines). From discussions at the event I learned that the current series of tastings was held in New York, Dallas, Los Angeles and San Francisco. There were 11 breweries in attendance showcasing 21 sakes.



Below are my favorites from the event:

Ichishima ShuzoKaren "Coy" Tokubetsu-Junmai - This sake was a great surprise.  It's full of fun fruit flavors yet very light and not overly sweet. 
        Minogawa Shuzo: Koshino Omachi Daiginjo - I found this sake to be tangy, mildly sweet, and smooth from start to finish.

        Matsunoi Shuzo: Matsunoi "Wishing Well" Tokubetsu-Junmai - A harmony of crisp, clean and smooth with lots of character to boot.

        Aoki Shuzo: Kaku-Rei Junmai-Ginjo - Suttle notes of fruit, a hint of spice and a smooth clean finish.

        Obata ShuzoManotsuru "Four Diamonds" Daiginjo - A fragrant nose sets the tone of this mildly sweet sake with a touch of citrus that finishes clean and dry.

        `

        No comments:

        Post a Comment